SUPPORT TO CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANIZATIONS
Since its foundation, REC’s mandate has been to assist the development of a strong and sustainable environmental civil society related. In fulfilling its mandate, REC has sought to strengthen the role of civil society organizations (CSOs) and improve their knowledge, skills, capacities, infrastructure, and sustainability.
The following are the core activities conducted within the Civil Society Organizations program:
- Supporting the CSOs by providing grants, capacity building, networking and sustainable programs of CSOs;
- Strengthening the capacity of leaders within civil society organizations and strengthening cooperation between CSOs, as well as between authorities and civil society, in order to strengthen the influence of CSOs in decision-making processes;
- Developing and implementation of capacity building programs for civil servants and civil society organizations at local and regional level in order to improve public participation in the decision-making process in the field of environmental impact assessment (EIA) and strategic environmental impact assessment (SEA);
- Strengthening the capacities and supporting the parties to the Aarhus Convention in more effective implementation in areas identified as major shortcomings or difficulties;
- Identifying best practices in participatory governance and participation of public and their application in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the region;
- Supporting CSOs in networking by promoting cooperation, exchange of information and trainings aimed at lobbying, campaigning, education and raising public awareness, public participation, cooperation with other stakeholders, press and media, etc.