As a partner organization, REC participates in the implementation of the project “LOCCAR – Local Communities’ Climate Adaptation and Resilience “ which we implement as part of a partner network led by the Centre for Climate Change, Natural Resources and Energy of University of Donja Gorica (UDG) from Montenegro and Environmental Ambassadors for Sustainable Development from Serbia. The project was financed by the Western Balkans Fund and co-financed by the EU.
Overall objective of the project is to help local authorities to better understand, prepare for and manage climate risks, as well as to develop innovative solutions to build resilience in the Western Balkans.
- To empower CSOs visibility in policy making on local level in the area of climate change adaptation;
- To raise awareness of local decision makers on the impacts of climate change on the local communities;
- To support sustainable regional cooperation in building climate resilience in the Western Balkans
The activities are divided into two working CLUSTERS and include activities that will be implemented at the local and regional level:
CLUSTER 1 – includes the following: meetings between three civil society organizations (9 in total, of which 1 in person and 8 video meetings), continuous communication and exchange of data, views and opinions on project activities. This set of activities will encourage regional cooperation among CSOs as well as their relevance and visibility in this area.
CLUSTER 2 – refers to raising the awareness of key stakeholders (local authorities) and includes the following: meetings with local decision-makers in 3 selected municipalities across the country, preparation of a brochure to local policy makers in 3 countries in the creation of climate change contribution policies and organizations of the regional Round Table.
- Raised awareness on the importance of integration of climate change adaptation measures into decision making processes among local authorities;
- Strengthened visibility and the role of CSOs in the area of climate change on the local and regional level.;
- Prepared and distributed Brochure/Guidelines as well as social media posts on incorporating climate change adaptation into local decision making;
- Better understanding of the necessity of regional cooperation between local authorities for using of common natural resources;
- Improved dialogue, data exchange and cooperation at the regional level;
- Undertaken adaptation measures leading to climate resilience.
Project duration: 9 months (January 2023 – September 2023)
Overall project value: 13.637 EUR
Coordinator: Centre for Climate Change, Natural Resources and Energy of University of Donja Gorica (UDG) from Montenegro
Partners: REC BiH – Resource Environmental Center and i Environmental Ambassadors for Sustainable Development from Serbia
Source of Funding / Donor: Western Balkans Fund / Co-funded by EU