GREEN ECONOMY AND CLIMATE CHANGE
Few years back, the economy was dependent on the use of natural resources, however, “the crisis of resources“ is present, threatening their shortage and price raise. Creating green economy-based modules is very important and should enable economic growth without harming the environment. Achieving such an economic model requires better resource management. Decarbonization, efficient use of resources and involvement of society and all stakeholders are the fundamental principles of green economy. Besides the need for public and private investments in the activities and industries that will lead to the reduction of carbon emission and pollution, increasing energy efficiency and sustainable use of resources, as well as preventing further loss of resources, education, improving skills and capacity building must also be included among young people to provide them with necessary tools needed for the green economy to bring about the necessary change in perception, behavior and to create innovative solutions. Nowadays, a workforce that understands its “green” business competencies is needed more than ever. Bosnia and Herzegovina is one of the countries in which green initiatives and ventures cannot be identified, as poor development in this segment has been made so far.
The activities of this thematic program are aimed to reducing climate change risks to ecosystems and the economy, increasing energy efficiency, the share of green energy, and building a low-emission society.
The following are the core activities conducted within the Green Economy and Climate Change program:
- Promoting and supporting activities that enhance sustainable economic growth through low-carbon economy, energy efficient use or resources;
- Promoting and supporting green finances, technologies, and investments;
- Supporting the creation and strengthening of skills and capacities of young people with the aim of streamlining their opinions and positions towards green economy and innovative solutions;
- Assessing data availability and strengthening capacities related to climate change impact and resilience assessment;
- Developing integrated methodologies to assist the decision makers in preparing efficient climate change adaptation policies/strategies;
- Promoting activities with respect to the implementation of Article 6 of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change on international cooperation, education, training, and public awareness raising in Bosnia and Herzegovina and beyond as well as the activities related to the implementation of the Paris Agreement;
- Cooperating with different interest groups for the purpose of achieving wider and more influential reach.