EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT AND INFORMATION
This program area aims to contribute to and support the UNESCO Global Action Program on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and the UNECE Strategy on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and to facilitate fulfilling the UN Sustainable Development Goals, for the purpose of carrying out the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. By distributing and transferring knowledge and sharing information on sustainable development, environmental and natural resource management, and ESD policies and tools, encouraging and promoting national and international dialogue, public participation in policy decision-making and preparation, cooperation between various stakeholders and stimulating and using innovative educational tools at all levels, REC BiH directly impacts raising the quality of the education system and environmental awareness and increases the capacity to detect sustainable solutions.
The following are the core activities conducted within the Education for Sustainable Development program:
- Providing expert advice to education policy makers to integrate environmental protection into curricula;
- Providing support to establishing smart, sustainable and inclusive growth through high quality education;
- Developing innovative educational multimedia tools in online and printed formats to be used in classrooms;
- Encouraging exchange of experiences and cooperation in order to increase the related capacities of teachers;
- Developing tools and campaigns on the sustainable development matters for the purpose of raising public awareness and encouraging public participation in environmental decision-making processes.
REC BiH has been active and served as a platform for exchange of information on environmental protection for various national and regional stakeholders, as an expert, information sharing, and advisory center at disposal to the civil society organizations for environmental protection policies in BiH. The long-term goal of REC BiH is to act as a resource center for environmental stakeholders by collecting and processing relevant information on the environmental status, implementation of environmental legislation and programs, development of environmental civil society, EU integration process, regional and international initiatives, etc.
The following are the core activities conducted within the Environmental Protection Information Sharing program:
- Sharing information on best/current practices in the areas of sustainable development, smart growth, environmental governance, participatory governance, public participation, environmental education, climate change adaptation and mitigation, green economy;
- Transferring information on the progress of the EU integration process related to environmental protection and climate change;
- Distributing national and international calls for financing environmental activities.