Organized by the Resource Environmental Center, the National Forum was held today in Sarajevo, which brought together numerous representatives of governmental and non-governmental sectors engaged in environmental protection matters, by which the “AIRQ – Strengthening the role of civil society organizations in promoting democratic principles and procedures related to SEA/EIA and environmental protection” project was completed, all thanks to the support received within the “Think on Nature!” Project implemented by CPCD with the financial support of the Swedish Government.
“Our mission was to improve environmental management through networking and strengthening the capacities of civil society organizations, to actively participate in environmental protection policy-making, but also to be equal partners in the decision-making process. Synergy is a powerful tool, since everyone has the same goal – better and more responsible environmental management. Therefore, today we have come to the formalization of our joint efforts in establishing the Green Forum, by signing a Declaration accepted and supported by 14 civil society organizations from all over BiH, made as a platform for joint action to work together and create and implement environmental and nature conservation policies at all levels in Bosnia and Herzegovina” said Lejla Šuman, REC Director.
The Position Paper on horizontal legislation and the integration process was also presented and submitted to the competent ministries. Today, BiH is facing numerous challenges regarding environmental protection, and in almost all fields where alignment with the EU legislation and standards is required, it has made very limited progress.
“Our legal framework has not been amended for years. Together with REC, we continue to work on the very important NEST project that provides technical assistance to the Ministry in amending legislation and which is also financed by Sweden. We have made tremendous efforts in raising work transparency as we are deeply convinced that full data transparency in the process of obtaining all permits is the biggest step forward in the regulation in the field of environmental protection” said Stjepan Matić, Assistant Minister of the FBiH Ministry of Environment and Tourism.
During a one-year AIRQ Project implementation, a number of activities have been implemented with the key interlocutors and partners from governmental, non-governmental, economic and media sectors. Through already started new projects aimed at strengthening the environmental protection sector, REC has remained the leading organization that, together with its partners, is implementing environmental protection and preservation activities in BiH.
ORGANIZATIONS MEMBERS OF THE GREEN FORUM
- Friends of Nature “EKO ELEMENT“ – Bugojno
- Center for Ecology and Sustainable Development C.E.K.O.R. – Kakanj
- EKO MREŽA – Srebrenik (EKO NETWORK)
- Association “VIZIJA“ Doboj
- Women’s Association “SRCE I DUŠA“ – Lukavac
- Environmental Movement “EKO MAGLAJ“ – Maglaj
- Association for the Protection and Improvement of the Environment, Nature and Health “EKOTIM“ – Sarajevo
- Center for Civil Society Development in BiH “CRCD“ – Doboj
- Institute for Regional Development “IRR“ Mostar
- Youth Cultural Center LIPE – Doboj Istok
- Center for Ecology, Education and Sustainable Development CEKOOR – Sarajevo
- Association for the Conservation of Nature, Rivers and the Environment “EKOPRO“ – Sarajevo
- Association “SARA“ – Srebrenica
- Resource Environmental Center “REC“ – Sarajevo